Wednesday 24 August 2011

getting caught in the moment

Emotions are strange things. Since I knew I was changing jobs i've hardly stopped smiling, it's better hours and should be less hassle overall. I dont want to criticise where I was working but it was definitely time to move on and things werent exactly the way they said they would be.

But the fact is I was incredibly fond of the residents where I worked and got along well with a lot of the staff so although it's good that im moving on I wasnt exactly looking forward to saying goodbye to everyone.

Let's be honest, people move on all the time and a lot of nice things get said and I'm not naive enough to believe everything that has been said to and about me in the past few weeks. But some things that have happened have really humbled me and totally blown me away. The owner was in tears bout me leaving on more than one occasion, families were coming in to see me especially, some gave me gifts, cards etc. People were going to the manager and owner and telling them how sorry to see me go. This isnt an ego thing, i'm only saying this because it means so much to me that my residents families seemed genuinely happy with the job i was doing with their loved ones. I had to stop reading one of the cards I got yesterday because I was getting emotional. I got hugged and kissed to within an inch of my life yesterday and it was surreal. In this line of work there is a high staff turnover so these guys are used to staff coming and going and I was only there 8 months so I'll most likely be forgotton by dinner time tonight but I won't forget them anytime soon. One of the families have asked me to be a befriender for their son, I wasnt expecting that either!

I think it's obvious that I'm sad to be leaving but I had to move on. Everytime I got sad about leaving I had to remind myself that there are genuine reasons why I'm leaving and try and stop myself getting caught up in the emotion of it all. But I do care about those residents and they will be in my thoughts and prayers.


No comments: